Thursday, November 17, 2011

A little about being Pretty & Powerful

its a slightly corny title, no? but it gets the job done.

For years, I have been a fan of magical girl ("mahou shojo") animes. Specifically, Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure.  I guess I never gave much thought to the fact that I eventually would (or ought to) grow out of them. Then again, I still haven't "grown up".

Thankfully, I'm not alone. There seems to be a gaggle of 20-somethings who, despite being mature, active, goal-oriented young women, still have an interest in the habitually assumed juvenile genre. And who's to say why? Is it the action? The enchanting transformations and attacks? Or the light-hearted stories and emotional plot twists?

Maybe its all of those. Whatever it is that pulls young women into these shows, its obvious to me that just because a young woman enjoys mahou shojo, doesn't mean she's childish.  That's what a p&p girl is. She is mature and vivacious; an exciting young woman, perhaps going through college or just emerging (or almost starting!).  She is technical or creative, perhaps both, and enjoys utilizing her abilities (or "powers" :D) to make the beautiful world she dreams of a reality.  Just because she's an adult doesn't mean she's abandoned imagination. No adult should.

So with that being said, I'd like to welcome you to Pretty & Powerful, a blog that celebrates empowered and inspiring young women who champion what it means to be a "living, modern Magical Girl".  No where on my journey through life was there a road sign that said "abandon imagination here". I present to you here the world that I live in. It's not always easy; its hard, but its worth fighting for. It's a world where I'm free to use my imagination, to create, to dream, and to love; I want to share it with my fellow magical girls.


“Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless.”
+ Jamie Paolinetti

No comments:

Post a Comment